Register a Food Business

To store, prepare, distribute or sell food on premises or from home you need to be registered with Environmental Health. This means all premises including; restaurants, cafes, hotels, shops, canteens, market stalls, mobile catering vans, food delivery vans and domestic premises.

You must register at least 28 days before you intend to open your business.

Registration is free and very easy to do and could save you money and valuable time. It’s important to get it right from the start and you can do this by registering and receiving support and advice from the Food and Safety team.  We want you to succeed in your business.   Just click on the 'Register your food business' link below.

Once you have submitted your form you will be contacted by one of our officers in the Food and Safety Team.  Take an opportunity to click on links to guidance as you complete the form.  Have your questions ready for the contacting officer, if you have any.  Once you have submitted your form you will be contacted as soon as possible by an officer. If you have questions don’t hesitate to contact us on or 01543 462621.

Register Your Food Business


What food hygiene training must I give my staff?

The Law requires that food handlers are supervised and instructed and/or trained to a level which is appropriate to their duties, so a supervisor will need a higher level of training than the people they supervise.

The Law does not mean food handlers must have received formal training, however, a certificate saying they have passed a recognised course is one way of showing they have complied with the Law.

Please contact the Food & Safety Team on 01543 462621 or email to discuss your individual requirements.

The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health can provide details of accredited training courses and all the levels of food hygiene training available in our area.


Last Updated:

A to Z of Services