Council Tax

Person accessing services online at home

Online Self Service

Our self-service page gives the customer or their appointee instant online access to provide information and to apply for exemptions and discounts at a time convenient to them without the need to visit us, ring us or write to us.

What you can do using self Service:
•    Tell us you're moving into the area
•    Tell us you're moving out of the area
•    Tell us you're moving within the area
•    Apply for a Single Person Discount
•    Cancel a discount or exemption
•    Notify of a bereavement
•    Register for e-Billing
•    Appeal a Council Tax Penalty


Difficulty in paying

If you are having difficulties making your payments, the first thing you should do is contact the Council. You can either ring the Council Tax Helpline Number 01543 464285, contact us online or visit the Council offices where staff will be pleased to assist you. 
We may be able to rearrange your instalments to make them more manageable.  

Need help towards your bill?

Did you know that anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax could apply for Local Council Tax Reduction, even if they already get a discount on their Council Tax i.e. they live alone?
If you would like to make an application for Local Council Tax Reduction please visit our online Benefit Forms page. 

How can I reduce my Council Tax bill?

Discounts and Exemptions
The Council Tax bill assumes that there are 2 adults (aged 18 or over) living in a dwelling.  If you are the only adult living in the property the Council Tax bill is reduced by 25%; this is known as Single Persons Discount.  In addition to this, there are certain groups of residents who can be disregarded altogether when counting the number of adults in the household.  
Further information on discounts and exemptions.

Some properties may be exempt from Council Tax altogether; further information on exemptions can be found here.

Disabled Reduction 
If you, or someone who live with you, need an additional room, or additional facilities i.e. an extra bathroom or kitchen, or an extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability you may be entitled to a reduced bill.  Further information on disabled reductions can be found here.

Last Updated:

A to Z of Services