Universal Credit logoWho can claim Housing Benefit? If you pay rent to a landlord, you should apply for Universal Credit for help with your housing costs.

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are of State Pension Age or live in temporary or supported accommodation.

You can apply online here to claim Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit entitlement will normally start from the Monday following your date of first contact with a designated authority (i.e. Council Offices, Department for Works and Pensions).


Who can claim Local Council Tax Reduction?

Anyone who has a liability to pay Council Tax can apply for Local Council Tax Reduction, even if you already get a discount on your Council Tax i.e. if you live alone.

You can claim even if you work and have a low income.

In some cases, even though you have a liability to pay council tax you would not be entitled to Local Council Tax Reduction. For example when someone:


Online Self Service

Our self-service page gives the customer or their appointee instant online access to apply for Housing Benefit and/or Local Council Tax Support and report changes in circumstance at a time convenient to them without the need to visit us, ring us or write to use.

What you can do using Self Service:

  • Access the online Benefit Calculator to work out entitlement
  • Apply for Council Tax Reduction / Housing Benefit
  • Report a change in circumstance
  • Apply for a Discretionary Housing or Hardship payment
  • Appeal a benefit decision
  • Submit evidence/information/documents
  • Find our when you will reach state pension age
  • Make a payment



Contact Us

Civic Centre self serve area is open for access to phones and computers for Council Services. Opening times: Monday - Friday between 10am and 4pm

Customers are encouraged to make an appointment  before visiting the Civic Centre, this will ensure the department / Officer of choice are available -  Please call 01543 464292 and speak to the appropriate department or officer.

Cannock Chase Council, Civic Centre, Beecroft Road, Cannock, Staffs WS11 1BG

Click here for a location map of civic centre

To speak to an advisor please call 01543 464292

Last Updated:

A to Z of Services