Environmental Permitting

Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control

Public Register

This register contains a list of installations and mobile plant permitted by the Council.

Environmental Permit Register


You must have an environmental permit if you operate a regulated facility in England or Wales.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations
  • Listed activities include:
  • energy - burning fuel, gasification, liquefaction and refining activities
  • metals - manufacturing and processing metals
  • minerals - manufacturing lime, cement, ceramics or glass
  • chemicals - manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals or explosives, storing chemicals in bulk
  • waste - incinerating waste, operating landfills, recovering waste
  • solvents - using solvents (Solvent Emission (England & Wales) Regulations 2004)
  • other - manufacturing paper, pulp and board, treating timber products, coating, treating textiles and printing, manufacturing new tyres, intensive pig and poultry farming

Listed activities are divided into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B.

Part A

Part A permits control activities with a range of environmental impacts, including:

  • emissions to air, land and water
  • energy efficiency
  • waste reduction
  • raw materials consumption
  • noise, vibration and heat
  • accident prevention

Part B

Part B permits control activities which cause emissions to air.

The permit your business requires depends on the specific processes involved and resulting emissions.

Permits are issued by the Environment Agency or the Council (both referred to as the regulator), depending upon the category your business falls within:

  • Part A(1) installations or mobile plants are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) and Part B installations and mobile plant are regulated by the Local Authority, except waste operations carried out at Part B installations which are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • waste operations or mobile waste plant carried out other than at an installation, or by Part A or Part B mobile plant, are regulated by the Environment Agency
  • mining waste operations are regulated by the Environment Agency

It is a criminal offence to operate a prescribed process without a permit.

Any proposed changes in operation must be reported to the regulator.

A “change in operation” means a change in the nature of functioning, or an extension of the installation which may have consequences for the environment. In the case of the latter, a substantial change variation may be required, which follows a similar procedure to applying for a permit to operate.

Eligibility Criteria

Applications must be made on the form provided by the regulator or online and must include specified information which will vary depending on the process.

Your application must be accompanied with the correct fee. It is recommended that you contact the regulator to confirm how much this will be for your process. Details of the fees and charges can be found here.

Your application will be returned to you if the correct fee is not paid.

If further information is required you will be notified by the regulator in writing. You must provide this information or the application will be deemed to be withdrawn.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility.

For waste operations no licence will be granted unless any required planning permission had first been granted.

Application Evaluation Process

The regulator will pay regard to the protection of the environment taken as a whole by, in particular, preventing or, where that is not practicable, reducing emissions into the air, water and land.

The regulator may inform the public of the application and must consider any representations.

The application must be from the operator of the regulated facility and the regulator must be satisfied that they must operate the facility in accordance with the environmental permit.

Will Tacit Consent Apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the regulator process your application before it can be granted. Additionally, if your application has not been determined after the permitted period, it will automatically be deemed as "refused", unless an extension has been agreed between you and the regulator. If you have not heard from the regulator within a reasonable period, please contact them.

How to Apply

If you need to apply for a new Part A2 LA-IPPC or Part B LA-PPC Environmental Permit or to vary an existing Environmental Permit, please contact Environmental Health by using the contact us link quoting New Application (link sends e-mail)

Types of installation

Part A1 installations:

These include the larger industries such as power stations and chemical plants. A1 installations are regulated by the Environment Agency who control emissions of pollutants to air, land and water.

Part A2 Installations:

A1 and A2 industries have pollution controls to protect the environment from emissions to air, water (including discharges to sewer) and land including any other activities that may have an environmental impact hence the term 'integrated pollution prevention and control'.

Part B Installations:

These include smaller installations ranging from dry cleaners and petrol stations to roadstone coating to land or water and are only regulated for emissions to air. Mobile installations: Part A(2) and B mobile units such as stone crushers are regulated by the local authority where their head office or principle place of business is located. Operators of these units are required to inform the regulating authority of their location. As before Part A(1) mobile units are regulated by the Environment Agency.

Environmental Permits


Operators of installations like those mentioned above must obtain a permit to operate. An application fee must accompany the application for permit. For the charging scheme please either contact Cannock Chase Councils Environmental Protection Team or refer to Defra's site at:


Permit applications must include a written description of the way in which pollution is to be minimised. Where a local authority decides to grant an installation a permit, that permit must include conditions stipulating how pollution is to be minimised. Government guidance has been published as to the appropriate pollution standards for various types of installation. The law requires the standards to achieve a balance between protecting the environment and the cost of so doing. The local authority is required to have regard to that guidance.

Operators can appeal where a permit application is refused or where it is granted but the operator disagrees with the conditions.

Once a permit is issued the operator must comply with the conditions.

Local authorities categorise installations according to the risk they represent (high, medium or low risk) based on the potential environmental impact in the event of an incident, and the effectiveness and reliability of the operator.

Where a business fails to comply with the Regulations, local authorities have the power to serve various types of notice and the power to prosecute. Where possible, however, authorities try to work with the operator to resolve problems.

Guidance Documents

The GGM comprises guidance on the policy and permitting procedures for activities subject to LA-IPPC and LAPPC under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010. The Part B system is known as Local Authority Pollution Prevention and Control (LAPPC). Full details of the part B industries in your area can be found via the Cannock Chase Council Public Register. If your business poses a high risk to the environment (A1 process), you must have apply for a permit from the Environment Agency. Enquiries in relation to applications for Part A1 installations should be directed to the Environment Agency via their national call centre tel. 08708 506 506 or for incidents arising at these premises 0800 807060 (Freephone, 24 hour service).

It is statutory guidance to local authority regulators, which they must have regard to. It aims to guide firms undertaking or planning to undertake relevant activities on their legal obligations. And it is designed to be useful to members of the public interested in industrial pollution control. These include medium sized industries such as brick manufacturers and galvanisers. Part A(2) installations are regulated by the local authority. The A2 system is Local Authority Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control (LA-IPPC).

General Guidance Manual (GGM)


Guidance notes for local authority regulated industrial activities

Process and Sector Guidance Notes are specific to particular industrial sectors.

Process Guidance Notes (PG Notes) involve only Part B activities whereas the Sector Guidance Notes (SG Notes) involve only Part A(2) activities.

The additional guidance notes are known as Air Quality Notes (AQ Notes) and are used to provide information on any issue that requires clarification in writing by Defra.

This could be a correction to existing guidance, a reminder of the importance of certain requirements, drawing LA officers' attention to a relevant consultation which they may not have seen, clarifying Best Available Techniques if possible in the event of multiple queries, or merely an update on the latest state of play.

It is the Operator's responsibility to determine whether the Regulations apply to their activity, and, if so, whether it is a Part A1, A2 or Part B activity. Operators should satisfy themselves that they comply with the law.

Public Register

Public registers

A public register of processes issued with pollution control environmental permits is maintained at Cannock Chase Council, Civic Centre, Beecroft Road, Cannock.  The register contains records as specified in the Environmental Permitting (England & Wales) Regulations 2016.

The public register is held on paper and open for inspection by members of the public.  Copies of register entries may be obtained on payment of a fee.


Last Updated:

A to Z of Services