Demolition Consent

Guidance Notes on Demolition Consent

Demolition LogoThe power to control demolitions is granted to the Local authority in Section 80-83 of the Building Act 1984

Any person intending to carry out demolition of a building must inform the Local Authority in writing, and must include:

  • Site details
  • Intended demolition
  • They must copy Notice to: 
  • Neighbours
  • Gas supplier
  • Electricity supplier
  • Demolition may commence after the Local Authority has issued a counter notice or after 6 weeks has elapsed from the submission of the notification.

Any counter notice issued will contain certain requirements as to how the demolition is to be undertaken and may include:

  • Request for a method statement
  • Notifying the Local Authority Building Control upon commencement
  • Details of site security/protection of the public and highway
  • Details of adjacent/included risks i.e.: 
  • Overhead hazards
  • Adjacent services
  • Damping down/burning restrictions
  • Asbestos removal/disposal
  • Time restrictions on vehicles entering and leaving the site Notification to the HSE under the CDM regulations.
  • The above list is not exhaustive but are the more common conditions set out in any counter notice.


Notification under Section 80 of the Building Act 1984 is not required for:

  • A demolition order made under part IX of the Housing Act 1985 (because the Local Authority will serve the counter notice regardless)
  • The internal part of an occupied building intended to continue to be occupied
  • A building not more than 1750 cu.ft measured externally (50 cu.m)
  • A green house, conservatory, shed or prefabricated garage
  • An agricultural building unless near or touching another non agricultural building
  • Note: Demolition does include a part of a building ( i.e.: an unsound wall to a dwelling being demolished would be controlled)
Last Updated:

A to Z of Services